June 15, 2012

We made it!

We got to New York last Monday, June 4, and somehow made it in one piece! Having spent the whole month of May in Waco, we had A LOT of stuff to get on the plane, including Lucy! This was the source of a ton of stress but she did awesome! She is really borderline too big to go under the seat in the cabin, but apparently traveling in the summer, this is the only option. So that's what we did! After much planning and a small amount of medicine, she made it through with flying colors. I thought I might be the one who needed medicine, but I did okay too :)

I am going to document the details just for memory's sake so skip ahead if you are bored. We drove to Dallas Sunday night since we had a 6am flight Monday morning. After a day of packing and sad good-byes, we made it to Dallas around 9:30, thanks to my parents who still had to drive back to Waco. Our "load" included the two of us and Lucy (in her bag), four large suitcases to check, a carryon suitcase, and a purse/bag each. This was no small feat getting to the airport for an 8-month preggo girl and poor Michael.  We got to the airport around 4:15 am the next morning to find out two important things: curbside check-in does not open this early, nor does the check-in line! We somehow made it to the check-in line and waited 20-30 minutes for the employees to arrive. Obviously checking four of the suitcases lightened our load and things were pretty much smooth sailing from there. 

We made arrangements for our movers to get to our apartment around 1 pm, which meant my sweet sister-in-law, Emily had to pick us up at the airport to get us to the apartment by that time. She was such a life-saver! We made it in plenty of time and she decided to wait just to make sure the movers showed up....well, at 3:00, we were all still sitting on the floor of the apartment with no movers. To make a very long story short, we are still (2 weeks later), sitting on the floor of the apartment with no movers and no furniture. :( We really have no idea why they didn't show up last Monday (or why they still have not shown up), but when we talked to them that first day, they promised our delivery in the next ten business days, which ended today. We called yesterday to confirm our delivery for today since we knew this was the end of the window and after much yelling arguing, we still have no stuff . I can't explain why this is happening because there is no logical explanation except that we obviously chose the WRONG moving company. 

So the last two weeks have been fun and interesting and a little uncomfortable! I'm working from home so I have a nice little set up with a folding chair and TV tray for my computer that our building Super brought us. We are sleeping on an air mattress that thankfully Emily thought to bring when she picked us up at the airport. It is surprisingly comfy! We've been eating a ton of sandwiches and a lot of meals out which is fun but tough on the ole' wallet. Michael starts working on Monday and has had a few days of orientation this week. He's excited and nervous! My job has been busy but working remotely has still worked out great so far. 

We've also started buying all of the baby items we need for baby Kate's arrival! She may have all of her furniture before we have any of ours! (actually in all seriousness she will) :) 

We love the apartment and our neighborhood so far! We're across from a huge park which we are loving and have taken lots of long walks with Lucy. There are lots of playgrounds in the park (hint, hint visitors) and we've already discovered lots of great restaurants that are very close by. It is fun and interesting to learn how to navigate this city with no car! That part is definitely a work in progress...

I'm 33 weeks so we are hoping and praying she stays put for a while longer, but we can't wait to meet our girl!! 

I think that was my longest post ever! Sorry for the boring details, I'm documenting so I will not forget but honestly I doubt there is much about this experience that I will ever forget :)

 My home office
 First baby item!
Lucy seems to be adjusting pretty well :)
 
He's a real doctor! 
 Sitting on the floor, watching BU baseball on the computer and eating chinese delivery
 Not quite a Texas sunset, but not a bad view!
 Can't wait to hold this girl!!

1 comment:

  1. You will definitely never forgot this experience!!! But maybe one day (in many years) you can laugh about it. Can't wait to be there!

    ReplyDelete